Announced. 2019 / 2020 West Coast Rock Lobster Season
The 2019 / 2020 west coast rock lobster season for commercial fishing companies and recreational fishers has been determined. Recreational fishing days have been cut to 12 but the amount of fish remains the same.
The Total Allowable Catch (TAC) is 1084 tons which is the same for the 2018 / 2019 season. There is also no change to the apportioned amounts, reflected as follows:
- Commercial Fishing (Offshore) 563.91 tons
- Commercial Fishing (Nearshore) 170.25 tons
- Recreational Fishing 38.76 tons
- Small-Scale Fishing sector (Interim Relief Measure) 170.25 tons
- Small-Scale Fishing sector (Nearshore allocation)
- Small-Scale Fishing sector (Offshore allocation) 140.83 tons
The Department will, similarly to the past fishing seasons, apply effort limitation to restrict the daily bag/catch limits and number of fishing days.
Commercial fishing sector
The commercial and small-scale fishing sectors are authorised to undertake fishing for four months in each Super-area/Zone. The start and end dates for the fishing season per sector and Super-area/Zone are as follows:
Area Catch period
Commercial Nearshore, Interim Relief/ Small-Scale: Nearshore Commercial Offshore, Small-Scale: Offshore
Super-area 1+2 – 15 Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, 15 Feb
Super-area 3+4 – 15 Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, 15 Mar 15 Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, 15 Mar
Super-area 5+6 – 15 Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, 15 Mar
Super-area 7 – Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar
Areas 8 and 11 – 15 Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, 15 Mar Jan, Mar, Apr, May
Area 8 (Deep water) – Jun, Jul
Areas 12, 13 and 14 15 – Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, 15 Mar
The 2019/20 west coast rock lobster recreational fishing effort is limited to 12 days. The season will open on Saturday, 1 November 2019 and will close on Saturday, 11 April 2020. Fishing will be allowed as follows:
• From 30 November 2019 to 1 December 2019 (2 days);
• From 14 December 2019 to 15 December 2019 (2 days);
• From 21 December 2019 to 22 December 2019 (2 days);
• On 26 December 2019 (1 day);
• On 1 January 2020 (1 day);
• From 4 January 2020 to 5 January 2020 (2 days);
• From 10 April 2020 to 11 April 2020 (2 days).
Only persons over the age of 12 years are allowed to buy a recreational fishing permit. Only four west coast rock lobster can be taken in one day between 08:00 and 16:00. The size restriction is 80 mm carapace length.
The price of the fishing permit is R94. Permits are valid for the entire west coast rock lobster recreational fishing season.
No person catching west coast rock lobster with a recreational fishing permit may sell his/her catch and any west coast rock lobster caught, collected or transported must be kept in a whole state.
Article link : https://www.fishingindustrynewssa.com/2019/09/26/west-coast-rock-lobster-season-2019-2020/